Child care is providing care for a child outside of their home for any part of a day, by a person other than the child's parents or legal guardians. The purpose of licensing and certification of child care centers and family child care homes is to ensure the health, safety and well-being of children while in care outside of their home.
For more resources about child care, see Bright Stars, a non-profit program.
- Family Child Care Home (Spanish)
- Group Family Care Home (Spanish)
- Child Care Center
- Child Care Center - (School Age)
Race to the Top-Early Learning Challenge
The Race to the Top Rhode Island Early Learning Challenge Grant initiative is now called Exceed. It publicly conveys the State's commitment to designing and implementing an integrated system of high-quality early learning programs and services that improve outcomes of young children. The power in the name Exceed is that in one word it conveys the goal that all the statewide partners have for the children of Rhode Island. Exceed supports the children of Rhode Island to achieve new heights in their learning. The partners are committed to helping all children to Exceed.
The Department of Children, Youth and Families is one of the partnering agencies supporting the Grant through the implementation of the following activities:
- Revise all child care regulations, to reflect current research and national best practice which afford better outcomes for children
- Improve quality and accountability for child care programs
- Enhance skills of Licensing Specialists through training to ensure consistence
- Working with partner agencies to align all state's program standards to create a unified definition of quality and common quality improvement pathways
- Provide support systems and connections to resources for programs serving high needs populations
- Collaborate with providers on program improvements
- Working with partner agencies to define the essential skills and knowledge that early childhood professionals need to know, understand, and be able to do
- Working with partner agencies to develop a statewide early childhood data system that has the ability to track information across the system specific to programs, workforce, and children