Confidential Records Request

If you are an adult who was in the care of DCYF as a child, you may request a copy of your medical and educational records only. DCYF records are confidential and are only released with a signed copy of the attached form.

To make a request, please fill out and sign the Confidential Requests Form, include a current copy of a government issued photo ID, and send to:

The Department of Children, Youth and Families
Attn: Records Center, 2nd Floor
101 Friendship Street
Providence, RI 02903

*Address on current government issued photo ID must match address to which records are being requested sent.

Adoption Information

DCYF cannot release adoption records due to confidentiality laws. If you are seeking information regarding biological parents and/or siblings, it may be helpful for you to register with the Voluntary Adoption Reunion Registry at the Garrahy Court Building at 1 Dorrance Plaza, (2nd floor, Juvenile Department) located in Providence.

For further information please go to:

Adam Walsh Child Abuse Registry

This is known as the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Registry.

If you are an agency outside the state of Rhode Island and you are requesting a clearance for an individual who formally lived in the state, we require the following:

  • A signed release from both the individual and the staff from the agency requesting the clearance. There is no form. You may send this release on agency letterhead.
  • Please also include:
    • Name
    • DOB
    • Previous Rhode Island address(es), if known
    • Agency check or money order in the amount of $10.00
      • Made payable to “General Treasurer State of Rhode Island”
      • Cash and personal checks are not accepted
      • All requests must be mailed, we do not accept electronic payment
  • All requests can be submitted to:
    • The Department of Children, Youth and Families
      Attn: Jan Mitchell, Record Center
      101 Friendship Street
      Providence, RI 02903
  • State agencies outside of Rhode Island are not required to pay the fee. And, may fax their requests to Jan Mitchell at 401-528-3480 with the information noted above on state letterhead.
  • You may speak with Jan Mitchell at 401-528-3842 if you have any questions about making an Adam Walsh Child Abuse Registry request.